5.18.2015

Linen Grainline Scout Tee

While I've had the Scout Tee pattern from Grainline for a couple years, I didn't actually get around to making one until January when my new sewing machine arrived. I've been wearing it since then, but MeMadeMay gave me the push I needed to take pictures and blog about it. 

Funnily enough, Courtney and I visited a historic cemetery to take these photos. Courtney stumbled upon it on a run and discovered it had a running trail around the perimeter within the gated grounds. Since there are always people there running or picnicking, we didn't feel as weird taking pictures there. That being said, we were sure to remain respectful of the graves. 

Anyway, the pattern is super simple. It's just a front and a back, two sleeves, and a strip of bias binding for the neck. I used a nice gray linen for the shirt and navy + white seersucker for the binding.


This shirt is so comfy to wear...especially after a couple of washes. The linen is softening up nicely.


I cut a size 6 but made a couple of alterations. Because I have a long torso (and short legs), I added 2 inches of length to the body and cut the pattern to use the size 12 hem, which was perfect. It looks nice with both shorts and jeans.


As long as the fit was right, I knew this linen Scout Tee would get a lot of wear, so I made sure to put the effort in to finish it right. All the seams are french seams and I took my time on the neck binding. I'm pretty pleased with how nice everything looks.

Jen from Grainline has a couple of useful tutorials, this one for french seaming the inset sleeves and this one for a flat bias binding neckline.



Since I like to wear this with cardigans + jeans in the winter and shorts in the summer, I know there will be several more Scout Tees in my future. I have a long sewing list for this summer when I have some time off from school. 

// Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment