7.07.2015

Melodia Shawl

In May my LYS began a knit-along (KAL) and the chosen pattern was Melodia, a simple crescent shaped, garter stitch shawl. While I liked the pattern, I've always wanted to join a knitting group and knit socially, so that was a bigger draw to me. I convinced Courtney to join in as well. She was scared she was going to be the worst knitter there and embarrass herself, so the night before, we practiced all the techniques she'd need to know, specifically a garter tab cast-on. At the cast-on party I think she surprised herself by being able to cast-on on her own while others struggled, making her not the most beginning (aka nice way of saying worst) knitter there.


A few weeks before, the store had held an anniversary sale where I picked up a skein of MadelineTosh Merino Light in the store's exclusive colorway, Susquehanna. I had no plans for it, but I love this yarn base and the blue with hints of green was too pretty to pass up. It ended up being a great yarn for Melodia!




Anyway, the pattern was super simple, which I enjoyed. I tried to only work on it at the shop during the KAL meetings, but towards the end I did some extra knitting at home. I was scared I was going to run out of yarn, but I had plenty left at the end. In hindsight, I wish I would have added a few more rows or even gone into a second skein. It was 12" deep and 44" long before blocking. Even after blocking, the shawl ended up on the shorter/smaller side. It's still wearable, but I'd prefer something larger. Live and learn, I guess.


And the best part? There were prizes for completing the shawl on time and posting a picture and I won a gift certificate! Courtney won another pattern from the designer.

Pattern // Melodia
Yarn // Tosh Merino Light
Needles // Size 5 Dyakcraft Rosewood Needles
Ravelry Notes // Here

// Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment