6.29.2015

My First Shawl | Color Affection

Way back in 2013 I attended my first Stitches West. While there, a yarn shop vendor was having a clear out sale in which you could fill a gallon sized Ziploc bag for $50. I found some super soft Ella Rae Lace Merino and stuffed eight skeins in a bag...six of a light grey, one cream, and one purple-ish grey. It ended up being a great deal.

When I got home I quickly cast on for a Color Affection. I had fallen in love with the pattern and thought the neutral greys and cream would make a perfect shawl. I was right.



Anyway, it was a pretty simple shawl. I made a few modifications based on things I had read and because I was new to shawl knitting. Like many others I added a YO in the border on the right side and dropped it on the wrong side. So each right side row started with 'Knit 1, YO, knit 1....' instead of 'Knit 2'. I also used a kfb increase instead of m1l and m1r.

In terms of techniques I used this method for carrying the different colors up the side of the project. For the cast off I k2tog tbl, slipped that stitch back to the left needle, and repeated.


It took me so long to get pictures of the finished shawl because I am always wearing this thing. It's soft and goes with everything, making it the perfect accessory. My only (small) complaint would be that it ended up not so deep and very long. I would trade a bit of the length for some more depth, but that's what I get for not swatching.


The yarn has held up well. Of course there are a few fuzzies, but I just went over them with a sweater shaver and it looks as good as new.

Pattern // Color Affection
Yarn // Ella Rae Lace Merino
Needles //  Size 6 [Addi Turbos, which were super slippery with this yarn]
Ravelry Notes // Here

// Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment