5.26.2015

Leather Foldover Clutch

I've had a plan to sew a laptop sleeve for my computer since January when I got it. However, after a failed attempt at a quilted sleeve due to my faulty zipper math, I decided to take a much simpler route. However, my math was off again and the thing was ever so slightly too short and far too wide for my laptop. Are you sensing a theme here?


Luckily for me, the second attempt was salvageable as a fold over clutch. While I have no use for one at this point in my life, it is a good addition to the 'gift box'. Slightly off topic, but this year I've decided to make things that I want to make and let people choose what they want as their gift. Fewer expectations on my part and more enjoyment on the receiver's part...at least that's my hope.



I used a blue-ish gray twill (from Fabric Outlet in SF and leftover from my Minoru Jacket), leather (again from Fabric Outlet), and a vintage cotton print (from a garage sale a LONG time ago).

It is constructed like any other basic zippered pouch, except I used this tutorial to keep the edges neat. I didn't follow it exactly though. Instead of using binding for finishing the inside seams, I just sewed up the sides and left a hole in the bottom to turn everything right-side out. I think ladder stitch is the best for closing up the hole afterwards...it keeps everything neat and invisible.

I added a leather zipper pull to finish it off...I like the something 'extra' it adds.




Hope the (eventual) recipient loves it!

// Lauren

P.S. Thanks Courtney for the photography! 

No comments:

Post a Comment