1.09.2015

Hutchin Hat

Waaaaaay back in October, I was able to go to the Brooklyn Tweed Trunk Show at Loop, which I wrote about here. I picked up a pattern for the Hutchin hat and a skein of yarn and finally got around to making the hat in the middle of November.

I learned a new cast-on, the tubular cast-on, which I love. It was totally worth the extra bit of hassle and looks so finished. It's a good technique to know for the brims of hats. I used this tutorial.


The pattern was well-written and pretty easy to follow. I did have trouble with the tension of the cables, but I after I loosened up they looked a lot better. Plus blocking helps.




Overall, I'm really happy with how it turned out. My mom loved it as well, so I made her one for Christmas, but forgot to take pictures before I left.

As for utility, it does keep my head warm, but I wish I had knit the ribbing a bit longer. I have a pretty big head, so it doesn't quite cover my ears. I know a lot of people say that, but I really do have a big head, haha. Courtney mentioned wearing a simple running headband  under my hat and I think that will do that trick!

My Ravelry notes are here.

No comments:

Post a Comment