9.18.2013

DyakCraft Darn Pretty Needles



3.5" lace tip, large set (sizes 4-10.5) in Winter Sky

My needles are here! They are now in my hot little hands just waiting to be put to use after I (finally!) finish studying. 

Earlier this year as I was browsing the Ravelry forums, I stumbled across DyakCraft, a company that hand crafts knitting needles. After a bit more research, I learned that the Diaks, a husband and wife team located in Vermont, create knitting needles in a variety of materials including stainless steel, aluminum, and wood. It was their 'Darn Pretty' wood interchangeable sets that caught my attention. Created out of Dymondwood laminate, they come in the most amazing colors.

Because these needles are handmade in the United States...we're talking hand cut, turned and polished, I knew they'd be amazing tools to work with. I loved the idea of heirloom quality needles that would last a lifetime. I was sold almost immediately.

The hardest part of the process was choosing a color. If you're on Ravelry, you can look at all the beautiful colors on the DyakCraft group 'pages' here. I wanted something me, but also something that would appeal years down the road. Fun, but also subtle. Visibility with a variety of yarns was also important.

I felt like I was over thinking it, so I threw caution to the wind and went with the brightest, most colorful set they offered (excluding the mixed sets), Sunrise. Because it's a very popular color, I knew I'd have a wait ahead of me. About two months in, someone posted pictures of their Rosewood set and their classic beauty won me over. I switched my order and added an additional set 3.5" in Winter Sky. Since they offer two different tip lengths, I had to try both. Right? 


Imagine my surprise, when another couple of months passes and they're on their way to me! I'm not exactly sure how their production schedule works, but I didn't feel the wait was too overwhelming. That being said, there are customers who have been waiting for upwards of 18 months.

'Stops' to turn the needles (with cable) into straights.
These needles were expensive and involved a bit of a wait, compared to purchasing a needle set at Webs or your local yarn store, but I love the fact that they will be my forever knitting needles. Even though I've yet to knit with them, I already love them. In fact, I have another 5" Rosewood set on order.

No comments:

Post a Comment